Saturday, November 24, 2012

Exploring

I love to explore new things. I like new experiences and have loads of curiosity.  My husband doesn't like to visit galleries or museums with me because I wonder about things. Deeply.  I read all of the narratives included in exhibits. I sit or stand in front of it and think about how it was created or the thought process of the designer. It's a bit time consuming and my dear man would rather scan the exhibits and move on. I appreciated his going on adventures with me even if it wasn't the top curiosity on his list. However, he enjoyed cultural events. If there was music and food, he was right there with me.

When I lived in the suburbs, I found it interesting that there was a high percentage of people who didn't take advantage of local culture and events. For instance, we had world class museums, a Thanksgiving Day parade to rival New York's, art institutes, and beautiful gardens. There was a Dream Cruise event, art fairs, ethnic festivals, and auto industry mansions. Yet many of my suburban aquaintances rarely took advantage of these fabulous places in the city. I also travel a lot and have found that many people all across our country do not visit their local cities and cultural places. I wonder why this is? We will travel across states on vacation to hike a park, to see a musical, or to explore a museum and yet neglect what might be around the corner.

In the country we have interesting cultural events too and just as in the suburbs, many in the country do not take advantage of them either. I have a few thoughts as to why people are hesitant to venture out to places or do activities that are new. Some people just don't like new things. They like visiting the familiar. Others don't want to deal with parking. I get that. Going to a new place and having to figure out where to park is stressful. Will it be on the street, in a lot or in a garage? I hate parking garages and if I think I'll have to park in a garage, I might reconsider going. However, if there is even a tiny spark of the adventurous spirit in you, I highly recommend putting aside the fear of the unknown and the stress that might entail and try out a new thing.

Let me share two that I explored this Thanksgiving week-end. Maybe I can persuade one of my readers to try something new, close to home. The first event, Weihnachtsfest (Christmas fest), was held in my Swiss hometown. We tasted a variety of chilis for the local chili cook-off along with hot cocoa and homemade cookies.  The downtown was lit by luminaries and the local stores had specials. Children enjoyed a live nativity, a tractor pulled trolly, and a petting zoo. It was a small event, but beautiful and just the right note to start the Christmas season. Even my husband got lost in wonder at the flower shop/gift store decked out better than a Hollywood Christmas movie set. Gone were the crowds, the pushing, and the big deals. Instead, a crisp, clear night full of smiling, peaceful people surrounded us.

The second event, Holly Trolly Shopping, was in a nearby small city. Who wouldn't like riding a trolly? This was a new adventure for me and I didn't know what to expect.  All I knew was that the trollies were free and that there were two routes that traveled around the city, dropping the travelers off at different points. They advertised pop-up market stops along with regular stores and establishments. How fun! My only exposure to the "pop up" concept was from a reality show called Gallery Girls that included a story line about  pop up art. I wondered if pop up markets might be similar. Parking downtown was free, and the first pop up market was right where I wanted to start the trolly shopping. First, the huge popcorn bucket sign advertised all I wanted to know about this pop up. Dill, candy apple, and caramel were just a few of the interesting flavors available to try. My favorite vendor created unique jewelry out of car and truck parts. Yeah, it sounds weird, but I couldn't pass up a necklace made from a '65 Chevy truck and a '60 VW bug. I hopped on the trolly and got off at the fort. Yes, a recreated stockade fort. Re-enactors demonstrated and sold authentic pottery, food, iron work, woodwork, and other items available to people who lived here 200 years ago. The trolly meandered past Science Central, and another small shopping neighborhood before winding back to the downtown area. I hopped off at a couple of other places by the art museum and browsed through a local art gallery.


One of the last stops was by a coffee shop. Picture the faces of the children on the trolly when Santa stepped on board handing out candy canes. I couldn't help but grin at the toddler who wouldn't stop waving "Bye-bye Santa," until he couldn't see him any longer.

Neither of these two cultural events were big. Not big like the festivals I attended in the city. But they were magical in a way. Beautiful, and just right. I'm so glad I was curious and went somewhere I'd never been and did something I'd never done. It felt good to support local artists and small town shops rather than a big box store for my gift giving. The best part of the whole week-end was that I didn't know where I was going. I hopped on a trolly and went where it took me, ready for the adventure of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment