Friday, January 6, 2012

When Is A Lawnmower Not A Lawnmower?

As I was sitting with my dog on the ottoman that looks out of our living room window, I saw a sight that made me want to dig for my camera. An older gentleman was driving a lawnmower down the street. This machine was bright red and shiny and had a grocery store carry basket attached to the front of the mower. You can imagine what I was wondering. Was he going to the gas station up the street to get a coffee? Was he on his way to visit someone? Is it street legal to drive a lawnmower on the streets of a town?

Then I noticed that he stopped in front of my house, leaned down and picked something up out of the gutter. He placed it at his feet. He did a u-turn and proceeded to slowly drive the curb across the street. He again, leaned down, picked something up and placed it at his feet. At this point he drove down the next house and my dog then wanted my attention. It dawned on me that this man was picking up litter on the street. I was stunned. Really...I was. This man determined on this chilly winter day that he was going to pick up litter and make our street a little bit more pleasant. Who does this? I don't know who he is and wish I did so that I could thank him. He brightened my day.

1 comment:

  1. You should watch The Straight Story and further explore the riding lawnmower-older gentleman-unhindered freedom to travel theme.

    ReplyDelete