Monday, January 9, 2012

Recycling...Or Not

One of my favorite personal feel-good acts for me in the suburbs was recycling. Our waste management company gave us a large plastic bin that I could throw in all of my recycling materials without having to separate them. I could toss in my paper with glass, all kinds of plastic (beyond #1 and #2) along with metal. It was great! I felt I was doing my small, easy part for caring for God's creation. I put out my recycle bin along with the large garbage bin on wheels out to the curb every week and it was emptied. I brought it back to the house and returned it to it's spot in my mud room. It gave me a small pleasure knowing that something that benefits us didn't take any effort except for walking an extra 20 feet from my kitchen garbage can to my mud room recycle bin. It was easy to fit into my life style.

In the suburbs, recycling is a part of every day life. We paid an extra 10 cents for every pop can or bottle including beer. Water, tea, coffee, and juice bottles were not included in this effort unfortunately. This incentive to recycle drink containers was a money maker for every youth group, school club group or sports team, and generally anyone who needed a little extra cash. Students went door to door asking people for their bottles and cans. Others who needed a little extra cash would walk along busy roads picking them up off of the street or look in public trash cans to see if they might find some tossed away. To redeem them, every grocery store had bottle/can return machines that counted your returns and spit out a ticket with the dollar amount. You took it to the cashier and got your cash. Why every state doesn't do this is beyond me. It helps the environment and you only spend an extra 5 minutes at the grocery store every week returning your bottles and cans before you head in for grocery shopping. It easily fit into everyone's lifestyle.

I worked at a major university in the state and as you can imagine, recycling is a major concern. Every hallway of every building had bins for paper, bottles and cans, and regular garbage. Not only every hallway but every suite of offices and classrooms had designated containers. No one, and I mean no one, ever threw regular office paper away in the garbage. You didn't print on paper unless you absolutely had to. Paper is valuable and it's not something to use without a purpose. Our largest can in the office was dedicated to recycling paper and paperboard. Another major effort was to reduce paper and plastic drinking and eating utensils. Although we had toss-away coffee cups, drinking cups, and plastic-ware, we made a concerted effort to bring in washables so that we were not filling up the garbage can. The School of Business took the Green effort to amazing lengths. Every single item you took out of their cafeteria was either completely recyclable or compostable. The plastic drink cups and straws were made out of corn by products and could be tossed into the university compost pile. Nothing except food went into the garbage.

Then I moved to the country were you think composting and renewing the earth would be even more important because we know how waste impacts farmland and groundwater. First, I didn't get a nice big garbage bin on wheels with an attached lid from waste management. We had to either purchase our own garbage can or put it out in bags. Nor did I get curbside recycling like I had in the suburbs. It took me about two weeks to find where I could take my recyclables. Thankfully it exists in town. BUT...there are lots of rules. I have to separate out everything into their own boxes/containers. Plastics can only be #1 and #2 but I can include plastic bags. Newspapers go in one container while the supplements, office paper, paperboard, and cardboard go in a different container. Metals cans go in another container except for aluminum, which has to be separated out. Glass goes in another container without lids. This means I have 6 boxes in the basement that have to fit into my trunk when I drive to the recycling station. It's really an effort to separate everything and train my husband about its importance, taking it all down to the basement and placing it in the appropriate box. It's much more than tossing it in my catch all bin like I had in the suburbs and putting the bin out to the curb each week.

This state does not have a bottle and can law, and so there isn't much of an incentive to keep these items out of the trash. Oh, there are metal recyclers who will pay you for aluminum, but that is a major effort to crush the aluminum cans and find a recycler in another city who will take them. Then there is the consideration of the gas mileage difference between what you "make" by taking in the cans and the cost of gas to transport them to the recycler.

I remember my first Sunday in church when I had a water bottle and didn't know where to put it. Of course I wouldn't throw it in the garbage. Who does that? It's recyclable! I actually felt a rise in my gut when I was told that there is no recycling there and I had to throw it in the trash. Intellectually, I understand that it's garbage. But here's the thing, we are each responsible for using it. We are the consumers of the garbage. By throwing it away and it ending in a landfill, it affects my water. It doesn't break down. It continues the mindset of consumerism and is the antitheses of living more simply. Without consciously thinking about it we are acting in a selfish manner. "I used it, I don't want to think about the "cost" to my environment and the extra time it takes to do something about it." It's not a political issue in my mind. I'm far from a liberal environmentalist. I'm a Christian who believes that when God gave the care of the earth into our hands, my response to his beautiful handiwork is to take an extra minute or two every day to do what I can to make his creation a safer, healthier place. If that means I have 6 boxes in my basement and that I have to drive to the recycle station 2 miles away once every two weeks, then so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment